Friday, January 16, 2009

Rhetorical Analysis- Print/still Ad


~Argument: The audience is being persuaded by Nivia Sun's, Autobronceant self-tanning lotion. This product will work where ever you go. No sun is needed.

~Audience: Young to middle-aged people (though mostly females) who have a busy lifestyle and cannot go tanning, or they don't have the resources or time to get a real tan.

~Goal: The ad is trying to persuade the audience to purchase Nivea Sun lotion (product). Buying the product can help you achieve a desired darker skin tone.

~How: Nivea, a well-known skin care company gains the trust of the audience by placing their product (with their name) in the corner of the ad. The setting of a solemn church is broken up by the beach towel that invites the viewer to break out of what is expected and proper (The gloomy tone of the chapel vs. the casual and almost animate beach towel lounging on a pew, and the orange sun-like lotion bottle in the corner). Even though one could be in church, it's like they're out on the beach sunbathing. Their tag line reads, "The sun goes, wherever you go." Logically, it's portable, convenient, quick, and safer than the sun's UV rays.

~Effective: This ad is quite effective. The playful beach towel contrasted against the reverence of a church is appealing to the 'rebellious' age-group. It's not a huge sacrifice, and it will save you time.


Ad Credit: Advertising Agency: TBWA/Frederick, Chile
Executive Creative Director: Pablo Leiva
Creative Director / Copywriter: Cristian López
Art Director: Gonzalo Arévalo
Illustrators: Osvaldo Salazar, Gonzalo Arévalo
Photographer: Alfredo León

1 comment:

sheila said...

Cool. I like your thoughts about it.

Did you know that when I first looked at the photo I thought it was for a Harry Potter film? Then I saw the Nivea lotion, and then 'got it'.

Smart ad. I think I have to use that stuff for a few months while we're no longer living in Hawaii.

btw: I may come on your blog as 'sheila' or as 'surfs up'. Depends on the mood I'm in.

another thing. We have another blog about Hawaii: Stuff fo' do. We named it atouchofaloha.blogspot.com

About Me

My photo
I have graduated from BYU. I majored in Visual Arts- Graphic Design, and minored in Business Management. I am currently working for a company doing design work for them, but I am still freelance so let me know if you are in need. I love to play, bake, and spend time with my family and friends.