Saturday, March 14, 2009

Rhetorical Analysis- Paper A

The gears have shifted because now I am analyzing
my own paper and how persuasive it was.

p.s. this is just a picture of me standing on the world's largest lacolith

~WATCO: What are the consequences of parents teaching the mentality that 'everyone's a winner' on the child's future success?
Enthymeme (Claim): Teaching this 'everyone's a winner mentality will impede future success.
Assumption (Reason): Because teaching this mentality will lead them to believe minimal effort is enough.

~Audience: The audience is parents who influence young people (roughly ages 8-20).

~Goal: The goal of the paper was to persuade parents to help prepare their children for adult life. Sometimes by letting failure occur, youth will better learn from their mistakes compared to always putting them on equal terms with their peers. Not everyone can win all the time, but hard work will excel their children beyond mediocrity. The goal is to help those adults realize they're potential crippling effect on their child's ability to cope with life's upsets and stresses.

~How & Why: This paper is relevant because most parents deeply care about their children. The writer gives a situation where a discouraged young athlete was about to quit, but he was persuaded into finishing the season where they won the championship. This begins to tug at the emotions of winning and losing, and how the outcome of a game (competition) can affect your attitude. The writer explains that parents are too soft and they either don't push their child in terms of competition or they interfere by demanding equality, making everyone a winner. Though this is logical, the writer lacks sources to correctly back up their claim. It also, states that when these children grow up, they are unprepared for the challenges that come with adulthood, yet there is not sufficient evidence to support it.

~Effective: The paper isn't the most effective because of the lack of credible sources. The underlying message would persuade me, but I am not the audience. The audience would need more credible information to convince them of a problem even existing.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I have graduated from BYU. I majored in Visual Arts- Graphic Design, and minored in Business Management. I am currently working for a company doing design work for them, but I am still freelance so let me know if you are in need. I love to play, bake, and spend time with my family and friends.